A record of my efforts to live a more sustainable life.



Recyclable Items (5):
  • 1 face mask bottle (LDPE 4) and lid (PP 5) -- I don't use it much so this is like a once or twice a year thing
  • 2 envelopes with windows from my Visa bill -- 1 recycled, the blank one set aside to be reused
  • 1 2L pop bottle -- I had some pop from a bottle at my boyfriend Jonny's New Year's party. -- re-purposed as dog toy (Indy doesn't eat it so it's ok, she just likes to attack it), then recycled
  • 1 raspberries container (PETE 1)

Non-Recyclable Items (30):
  • 1 bundle of scotch tape
  • 2 video game wrappers -- Christmas presents
  • 3 popcorn wrappers
  • 2 burrito wrappers -- I was at work and didn't have a lunch. There were individually wrapped burritos in the freezer...
  • 1 pen -- also a rare garbage item
  • 2 plastic forks -- one from a holiday party and one from cake at work
  • 1 Styrofoam plate -- from holiday party
  • 1 package whose origin I don't recall...
  • 1 caramel apple pop wrapper
  • 1 dried mangoes bag
  • 1 package from lasagne box -- why are so many boxes wrapped in plastic?
  • 1 apple bag
  • 1 Riesens bag -- Christmas candy
  • 1 bread bag -- not pictured as my mom threw it out
  • 1 Pot of Gold wrapper
  • 4 mini Laffy Taffy wrappers
  • 1 plastic twist tie -- will be reused
  • 1 package from rechargeable battery pack
  • 1 pill package
  • 1 Mini Eggs bag -- Christmas candy
  • 1 icing container from cinnamon buns
  • 1 veggie chicken wrapper

Total Items: 35

Analysis:

What items could I easily replace with plastic-free or less plastic alternatives?
Still need to find a good way of replacing microwave popcorn. I should also call Visa and get them to email me my bills, which would stop those stupid window envelopes.

How many of these items are from “convenience” foods that could be made from scratch with less packaging but might take more time to prepare?
The burritos and the cinnamon buns.

What items are essential and seem to have no plastic-free alternative?
My pills (though I am going to talk to the people at the drug store about decreasing the amount of paper and cardboard packaging they're in by the time I get them). Also the video games.

What lifestyle change(s) might be necessary to reduce my plastic consumption?
Candy, candy, candy.

What one item am I willing to give up or replace this week?
I'm going to try not to eat any more of those individually wrapped burritos. This can be accomplished by decreasing the frequency with which I forget to bring a lunch to work.

What other conclusions, if any, can I draw?
I'm starting to realise that every week there are things that I only throw out "once in a while." Each one of them may be a rarity, but altogether they seem to be a lot! It's really reminding me that every little bit counts because it really adds up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment