A record of my efforts to live a more sustainable life.

Show Us Your Plastic Challenge - Week 5 - January 10 - January 16, 2010


Recyclable Items (4):
  • 1 salad tub top (PETE 1)
  • 1 margarine tub (PP 5)
  • 1 orange juice carton
  • 1 2L ginger ale bottle
Non-Recyclable Items (13):
  • 1 gingerbread man wrapper -- my last of the season
  • 1 toilet paper wrapper
  • 1 Booster Juice straw -- this one kills me because I just got my Glass Dharma straw, and then I forgot to take it when I went to Booster Juice. :(
  • 4 Laffy Taffy wrappers
  • 1 bag from triangle buns
  • 1 cracker package
  • 1 dried mangoes bag with top
  • 1 mint wrapper
  • 1 veggie chicken wrapper
  • 1 frozen vegetables bag
Stuff that I think contains plastic but am unsure (mystery materials) (non-recyclable) (3):
  • 2 granola bar wrappers
  • 1 chip bag
Total Items: 35

Analysis:

How many of these items are from “convenience” foods that could be made from scratch with less packaging but might take more time to prepare?
Granola bars, triangle buns (though I doubt I could make buns as good as those triangle buns).

What items are essential and seem to have no plastic-free alternative?
Margarine, my dried mangoes (yes, those are definitely essential).

What one item am I willing to give up or replace this week?
I don't think I'll be getting those individually wrapped veggie chickens anymore. I got sick of them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment