A record of my efforts to live a more sustainable life.

Show Us Your Plastic Challenge - Week 6 - January 17 - January 23, 2010



Recyclable Items (5):
  • 1 peanut butter jar (PETE 1)
  • 1 Tim Horton's lid (PS 6)
  • 1 orange juice carton
  • 1 tub from candy necklaces (PETE 1)
  • 1 dip container from mozza sticks at bowling alley (not pictured)

Non-Recyclable Items (14):
  • 1 taco shell bag
  • 1 bread bag
  • 1 fudge bar wrapper
  • 1 plastic fork -- I need to start carrying cutlery.
  • 1 package from combo lock -- I needed another one for use at the pool/gym at school
  • 1 toothpaste tube
  • 3 mini Laffy Taffy wrappers
  • 1 bag from mini Laffy Taffys -- They were delicious but I'm glad they're done messing up my plastic count!
  • 1 of those plastic things that holds can drinks together -- We got 2 cans of pop with a pizza deal and they came with this. I ripped it up so birds don't get their heads stuck in it.
  • 1 orange juice seal
  • 1 microwave popcorn wrapper
  • 1 floss container

Stuff that I think contains plastic but am unsure (mystery materials) (non-recyclable) (1):
  • 1 veggie sticks bag
Total Items: 20

Analysis:

What items could I easily replace with plastic-free or less plastic alternatives?
I could make popcorn on the stove instead of in the microwave. I don't like the taste as much, but I'm going to try it again with popcorn seasoning, and we'll see. Also I should bring my thermos to Tim Horton's so I don't need the paper cup and plastic lid, the only problem being that I rarely go, and when I do I don't know in the morning that I'm going to, so I'd have to always have a rarely-used thermos with me.

What items are essential and seem to have no plastic-free alternative?
Orange juice, toothpaste, floss.

What lifestyle change(s) might be necessary to reduce my plastic consumption?
I need to find a good way of carrying cutlery with me. I was going to use a toothbrush holder like Sustainable Dave does, but it turns out my cutlery is too big for those.

0 comments:

Post a Comment